Passenger by Alexandra Bracken


Hello there bookworms, today I´m going to review a book called Passenger by Alexandra Bracken. Passenger is about two teenagers Etta Spencer and Nicholas Carter, who at first don´t know each other. One night Etta is thrust into an unfamiliar world by a stranger with a dangerous agenda and in-process Etta loses everything she knows and loves. Soon Etta realizes she hasn´t just travelled miles but she has in fact travelled through time. She also soon discovers that she has inherited a family legacy she knows nothing about.

Nicholas Carter is happy about his life at sea. He is free from the Ironwoods and the servitude he´s known at their hands. But when the unusual passenger comes on his ship, comes also the intense pull of the past. The Ironwoods are searching a stolen object and they believe that Etta, Nicholas passenger, is the key to find it. Nicholas wants to protect Etta, so he has to make sure that she brings it back to the Ironwoods, even if she doesn´t want to.

Together they travel through times and places, collecting clues left behind. As they get closer to the truth of their search, and the deadly game the Ironwoods are playing, are Etta and Nicholas threatened to be separated and it may be that Etta never finds her way back home.

I bought this book a while ago and it was just sitting in my bookshelf and finally, I decided to read it. I really liked this book, the story was amazing and I haven´t read anything like this before. First, the book started quite slowly but soon the adventure started. I loved how the time and places change through the book. I’m a big history geek so I really liked about the history in this book.

Bracken’s writing style is enchanting and it pulls you straight into the scene. The book is written two-person perspective, Etta and Nicholas’. I really liked it because then you could read what both of them thought about things and each other. The character development in this book is amazing and you really can see Etta and Nicholas’ relationship grows from the first encounter. Their relationship is so beautiful.

The book was fast-paced and I was easily able to imagine the incredible destinations that they visited. In this type of novels, it’s pretty common to be confused, but Brackens writing style is so clear and eloquent that the reader has no difficulty keeping up. The author tackled difficult topics such as race culture and sexism. They were thrown a bit around the book, but there wasn’t too much of them and it was good. You weren’t like overwhelmed by these issues but the book addressed them at times.

The passenger was a great novel and often I couldn’t put it down. Sometimes I even read it until 3 in the morning because it was so intense. I would absolutely recommend this book anyone who likes action, history and a little bit of love. I will definitely pick up the next book of the duology when it comes out.

I will give this book 4.5/5 stars.

Thank you for reading! The next book I will probably be reviewing is the ember in the ashes by Sabaa Tahir because I’m currently reading it.

Comments