Red queen by Victoria Aveyard


Hello my lovely bookworms, it’s been a while but I have had really much going on the past few months, but now I decided to start posting stuff here again. Today I am reviewing Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. I have heard many good things about this book but I haven’t just read it earlier. Last week I went to a book store and saw it there and decided to just buy it. I started reading it and it was so good that I finished it in a day.
Red Queen is about seventeen-year-old Mare Borrow who her whole life has believed that she is normal red blood girl but after she gets a job in the king’s palace she discovers that she is anything but normal. She finds out she has abilities like people with silver blood only possess. After that Mare is in more danger than ever. She is told to lie the rest of her life so the world doesn’t find out that she has red blood and silver abilities. She has to pretend to be a silver blood girl and learn court rules to survive her new life.

The world in the book is divided by blood. There are people with silver blood and red blood. Those with red blood are common people. They live in poverty and serve the silver blooded people. Many of the red people are send to war when they are 18. Those with silver blood are the elite. They are gifted with supernatural abilities and they rule the world.

In this book there are three possible love interests, Kilron (Mare’s best friend since forever), Cal (the crown prince) and Maven (the second prince). When the king finds out about Mare’s ability, he engages Mare and Maven. First, neither one of them is happy about this but when the story goes on you see how their relationship grows, it would seem like they would end up together and be happy. But then every time Cal and Kilron are in the scene, you see that they also have feeling for Mare and you really can’t tell who Mare will end up in the end. Although Mare’s thoughts and decisions don’t involve her love interests and guys, this is refreshing because in many young adult books the girl’s life involves around the guy. It’s a shocker that Mare is engaged to the second prince, I like expected this to be really cliché moment and Mare would have been engaged to Cal, but the writer surprised me. Although, I get why the king didn’t engage Mare and Cal. That’s because it wouldn’t be a good thing considering that Mare is red.

 Mare and Maven decide to join the Scarlet Guard group and this puts everything into action. After this, the story just gets more interesting and there are more action scenes. Scarlet Guard is a group that is against the separation between red and silver people and they want to stop the silver elites rule. They also want to stop the war that is going on because many red people die in vain on the battlefield.

There was this one great plot twist in the book and I really couldn’t guess it. I was like omg what the f**k just happened. You seriously couldn’t guess that this character would betray everyone and would be the ‘bad guy’ for this series. This character also broke my heart because he and Mare would have been cute together, but no the writer wanted to crush this OTP.

It’s also amazing how Mare’s view of the silver elite changes through the book. First, she compares them to gods and thinks they are invincible. In the end, she says that they are more like normal people and they are also afraid of many things.

This book brings my mind Divergent because there are some similarities like there are these people that are different from everyone and some people want them killed. But I still liked the red queen, I just put past the idea that these books were similar and decided to enjoy the story. Many people don’t like this book just because it has some similarities to other YA books but in this world, no book idea is an entirely new one. The most important thing is how the book is written, if it is believable and enjoyable, and this book really was.

 Victoria Aveyard is a great writer, there are many great plot twists and the world was amazingly built. I’m so excited to read the rest of the series. I already have the second book but I have to wait a while until I get the third in my hands. I have already pre-ordered it but it’s going to take a few weeks until it gets to me.

I will give this book 4/5 stars.

Tell me what you think of this book and did you like it? Will many of you read King’s cage when it comes out? You can also recommend other great books to me, I’m always looking for new books to read.

Comments