A Court of Thorns and Roses Review






Hello my fellow readers! How has all of your day been and is summer going great? Is it hot where ever you are? I have been traveling almost all summer and just now had about two weeks down time at home before going to parents, after that my “school” stars back again. I start my first internship august 5th and I’m little bit scared. 
I have been trying to read so much over this summer because I know when autumn comes I don’t have much time. 

Today’s post is going to be book review about the book A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas. ACOTAR (shortened term for the book) is first book in a trilogy and it was published 2015. I read this book first when it just came out but decided to review it now, after rereading it this year. This is a young adult fantasy book, you can also say it is new adult considering that the main character is little bit older than normally in YA. 

This book is about Feyre, who after killing a magical wolf, gets dragged into a magical faerie kingdom. There she must fight ancient curse, try to stay alive and she starts to fall in love with her mysterious captor. The story is kind of a twisted retelling of Beauty and the Beast. 

The main character of the story is Feyre, who is human and 20 years old. I liked that she was older than normally the characters in YA novels, mainly because I, myself, am getting older and can’t sometimes stand so young characters. Feyre as a character was very real and I found that I can related to her. The romance between Feyra and Tamlin was something you could just see coming from the beginning. 

Tamlin is Feyra’s captor and faerie. His face is obscured by a jeweled mask and he is hiding something big. We first meet him when he comes to fetch Feyra from human lands after she kills his magical wolf. From the beginning Tamlin comes across as a cruel being who doesn’t want a human into his kingdom. But soon his hostility turns into passion. 

I really liked Rhysand as a character when he was introduced to the story. He had this mysterious aura around him and he was hard to read, I couldn’t decided if he was good or bad. Only down side was that I could almost guess that there would be love triangle in the next book, between Feyra, Tamlin and Rhysand (I really hope not, I hate them). 

First half of this book was kinda slow and I was afraid I wouldn’t like this book because of that. But then the plot got thicker and I started to enjoy it much more. Most of the big stuff happened at the last third of the book and before that it was much more like presenting the characters to us and setting up the romance. 

Warning to all of those who don’t like smut at all in their books, there was bit of that in this book. Not much and it wasn’t overly described.

Overall, I liked this book and it gave good basis to rest of the series (which I have already read and it was amazing). The world building was done great and I got the sense that it was very thoroughly thought. There was good amount of history to the races and legends.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes to read fantasy and YA books. Also, to anyone who likes faeries. Although, they were little different in this than what I have gotten use to in other books.

I give this book 4/5 stars. 

Tell me what you thought of the book? And tell me what you are reading next? I have to come up with a book that has treasure hunting in it because it’s a reading prompt to a reading game I’m doing this month. Comment down below if you have good suggestions. 

Love,
Jenna

Comments