Mageborn by Jessica Thorne

Hello, my lovely readers! Hope you all are having a great day. 

Today I'm going to review Jessica Thorne's Mageborn book. Mageborn is the first book in the Hollow King series. This book doesn't come out until February 18th but I was given a great opportunity by NetGalley to read this book advance for exchange of a review. All the opinions in this review are my own. 

The life of an orphan soldier becomes entwined with that of the mysterious heir to the throne, whose very presence draws out the secret magic living inside her: Magic that breaks every law she is duty-bound to uphold. 

Mageborn is a fantasy book set in a magical medieval feeling world. There is alining king, some magical mythology and corrupt royal agent. I think this book was a pretty good read and I mostly enjoyed it. There is some room for growth but this is a great read for fantasy lovers. 

The whole story is told from two points of view,
Grace Marchant is an orphan that can’t remember her past. Now she is an elite soldier living in the Academy. She is likeable, loyal and fights for the things she believes. She is tough and did things that had to be done.
Bastien Larelwynn is the mageborn king’s cousin and only heir. He makes a lot of foolish decisions and is a bit naive, but he was very charming.

I liked most of the characters because they were all little grey. They do bad things, but they have good intentions or they believe that it’s the right thing to do. Of course, there are some really bad characters.

I enjoyed the main plot of this book. The star was a little slow and I liked it more once the plot took hold more. In the beginning, the book was more about the world-building and it focused more on the romance between the main characters. 

Mageborn has great potential for an amazing story but something was just missing. There were few instances where the reader was expected to know certain things, like history, that wasn’t mentioned beforehand. I think the story would have been better if a little bit more editing was done and I hope the next book is a little bit more consistent. 

I'll give this book 3/5 stars and I'm probably going to read the next one just to know what's going to happen, and I enjoyed this read. 

I want to know what you all have read this weekend. Anything good?

Comments